Thought / Quote of the day...

Wednesday, 7 March 2007

Bank of littlesister

I have a dilemma , and it is one of my own making ......

Bigbrother ( in other words, Justin - my brother ) has a problem. His car has broken down - I'm not sure what is actually wrong with it, but at the moment it is sitting outside our house, quietly rusting in the rain. The problem is that he cannot afford to get it fixed. Apparently, it is going to cost up to £1000 to be repaired ( and most of that is labour charges ! ), and he hasn't got that kind of money. Despite earning almost double what I do a month, his financial commitments ( loans, card payments, car insurance etc. ) means he has no savings to cover something like this, and he REALLY cannot afford another loan .... but he needs a car for his work. At the moment, he is getting lifts from work friends, but that cannot continue indefinitely. As I said, a problem.

My dilemma ? I don't have as many financial commitments as Bigbrother, so have managed to save just a little bit of money over the years, but not much. It is there as an emergency fund, something to fall back on if I ever lose my job ( it would be enough for a few months .... ). At the moment, I feel like one of those caricatures in a cartoon, with a devil sitting on one shoulder, and an angel sitting on the other. Both are talking in my ear . I have offered to pay to get Bigbrother's car fixed - after all, he does need his car, and as I have the money, the sister-like thing to do would be to help him .... so says the angel. But the devil is saying, on the other hand , that is my money - why should I give it to Bigbrother ? It was my hard work that earned it , and I might need it in the future - that is why it is there in the first place . He is unlikely to be able to pay it back, as he never has any spare money himself. ... as you see, a dilemma.

This would not be the first time I would have helped out Bigbrother in this way ... at times, it has felt like I have been his personal private bank - The Bank of littlesister .... but I know I will help him, despite my internal debate. After all , what are sisters for ....... :-)

0 comments: