Thought / Quote of the day...

Friday, 31 October 2008

The fastest thing on the road

The journey home from work the last few days has been even more interesting than usual. Not for any spectacular reason - no wonderous sunsets, I haven't been knocked off my bike or cut up by a car ... although the reason is transport connected. Simply, I think I have been the fastest thing on the road .. OK , maybe not the fastest, but at least I have been moving. The traffic has been horrendous, almost at gridlock levels along one particular part in Portsmouth.

I shouldn't be that surprised - Portsmouth is a busy city, so its roads get a bit cluttered at times. Most cities are like that now. But to see the traffic stationary for almost the whole length of a major road in and out the city for three days in a row ... and not because of an accident, or a broken down car, or any other kind of incident but for sheer weight of traffic .... it is quite a sight to see ... the car doesn't look such a convenient mode of transportation then. All these single tin boxes with just one person in, fuming at the single tin box in front of them, all of them just sitting there, going nowhere. It is not only car drivers that are affected though ... I think I counted about six buses, most full of people, stuck too. That causes other problems - people waiting for buses in other areas of the city that will not come anytime soon because they are here. ... it goes on and on ... such is modern life. I just look on .... and pedal on by . I might not be going very fast, it might take me a while to get where I am going ... but I am still moving, and I will get there in the end. Makes me glad to be a cyclist for a change ......

0 comments: