Thought / Quote of the day...

Friday, 14 November 2008

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark....

.... or correctly, at work. There is a strange atmosphere there this week ... something is going on. I am not entirely sure what it is , but I have a good idea though ..... more about that in a moment.

As you can tell, I am back at " the fun factory " this week. My break away from it last week passed all too quickly. Not that I actually managed to do anything spectacular in that time, but it was just nice not having to get up at 4am !!!. So now I am back .... and still getting the silent treatment from " Her Majesty ", despite my efforts to talk to her ( no change there then .. not that I thought it would be ). There has been some change though - Billy has now gone, and the new manager has FINALLY arrived. His name is Stephen, and he seems OK - not that I have had much to do with him so far . Apparently, he used to work for Tesco ( another UK retailer ), and now he has moved to us to progress his career - that seems the wrong way around to me somehow (Most people working here would rather work for Tesco, I think ! ). Anyway, he hasn't said that much to me ... the subject of the waste has not been brought up as of yet ... I will wait and see a little while before I pass judgement on him ( see how long he last ... LOL ).

Back to the strange atmosphere - not caused by the arrival of the new manager, I should say. Something is definitely going on .. nothing to do with me though, I have to say. There has been a lot of whispering in corners going on, and visits from people in Head Office (particularly from those connected to HR and Loss Prevention ... ). The office has been out of bounds to most of us for long periods of time so "interviews" could be held with certain individuals ( which were not job interviews ), and meetings held with management .... very strange. By listening to what others in the store have said , it seems to be connected to something that happened last week - and as I have mentioned, I wasn't at work last week .... . One of the other team leaders, in fact one of the two who I said before was acting like they "knew everything" , hasn't been at work all week. I had not thought much about it, as she is prone to back problems so I assumed she was off sick again. Then Wendy mentioned that she had been called into the office last Friday for one of these "interviews" with a person from HR .... and left in tears. She hadn't been in work since. I assumed she might have been told off because of her sickness record - that seemed a bit unfair to me. Then someone else mentioned that Loss Prevention were around because money had appeared to have gone missing from the store,they thought from the safe. It appeared to have happened the previous weekend . , . Processing the information in my head , and putting two and two together ( and making five probably ) this was serious - the missing team leader was working then , and she normally does the cashing up. It doesn't sound good .... . I really hope that isn't the reason why she is not in .... I really hope she has not been that stupid, but who knows - people can get tempted. If that is the reason for her absence ... I don't think we will be seeing her again. Just have to wait and see though .... the interviews are still on going, and I have to remember my values - that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. It might be something else entirely - a mistake in the paper work perhaps ?

All this rumour and suspicion is not helping the atmosphere ... feels like there is something rotten at the heart of the store .... hence the mis-quote from Shakespeare as a post title .... hope things are sorted out soon either way.

0 comments: