I have to say, on a personal note, that a little more official information would be nice - it would stop some of the more crazy rumours from going around and being taken as fact - and the two previews on Youtube are very gratefully received by me ( * big grin * LOL ) , but I am not in such a hurry as some of the others on the forums are. The Internet is a wonderful thing, enabling people to obtain and communicate information about subjects in a blink of an eye , and that is not a bad thing ..... but sometimes it can feel like too much information, too fast to me . For some (generally younger I have to admit ) people on the forum, they want and expect things to be like that all the time. A sense of patience seems to have been lost to them in the race to find out what they want to know ... they want all the info, and they want it now (if not yesterday !). This is going to make me sound very old, but I remember a time ( and it wasn't THAT long ago ) when it wasn't like that .... when you only found out about an album release early if you were lucky and had a friend working in a record store to tip you off .... when the first time you saw the cover art was generally when you saw the album in the shop ..... when you didn't (usually ) know what it would sound like until you bought it and took it home to listen to. There was a sense of excitement to record buying which seems to have been lost to some. Yes, there was the risk you would buy the album and find that you hated it ..... but there was also the intense pleasure of experiencing something new and wonderful for the first time, untainted by previews and leaked snippets.
I had quite a late introduction to the wonders of the web ( didn't get Internet access @ home until 2002 ) , so this was the way I found out about releases for most of the time until then - in relation to Jean Michel , right up until Oxygene 7-13 ( after that, I found Conductor of the Masses fanzine, so there was a little more insight for me into what he was doing ... :-) ) .... what I am saying is that you don't always need to have information months in advance, and for that info to go into intimate detail about an album release ( although some information is always helpful.... ) to be interested in it . A little mystery can only heighten the expectation and the enjoyment of when you first discover the music for yourself. As the title of this post states , " Good things come to those who wait " ....... that is especially so when it comes to Jean Michel and his music ...... after all , having a sense of patience is almost a requirement when it comes to being a Jarre fan ..... ( and one of Peter Gabriel , Kraftwerk, Sting .... the list goes on ... but that is another topic.....) .


2 comments:
I could not agree with you more. Being a Jarre fan from 1989, I know about finding out about albums and concerts after the fact, and then in the 90s having fanclubs which helped (in fact I started the Norwegian Jarre fanclub in 1993 to gather information for the fans up here, the situation is very different now of course). People to day have become impatient and that is the internet's fault! Glenn from jarretribute.com
Yeah, good point Jess. It seems like there's much more pressure too, I mean, people have expectations and judge the very first snippet and form their opinion even before the album is released. I must say I'm looking forward to it, even though I don't really like this youtube teaser. But then again Metamorphoses, S2k and GOL had to grow on me as well... so after I've bought it, I need to be patient again to give it a chance to grow on me :)
Post a Comment