Thought / Quote of the day...

Monday, 15 January 2007

Someone to watch over me .....


angel, originally uploaded by littlesister.

As you might be able to tell from the above picture ( and my profile image ), I like the idea of there being such things as angels .... not so much in the religious way ( as a winged messenger, bringing the word of God to us mere mortal Humans ) - my image of them is more secular.....


One of my favourite films is one called Wings of Desire. In it, the skies around us ( in this case, the skies in question are above a still divided Berlin) are populated by gentle, trench-coat wearing angels who watch over the city's inhabitants, listening to their thoughts, and trying to comfort them in times of need ( The main premise to the story is that one of the angels falls in love with one of these troubled souls, and wants to become mortal, to become Human, so he can be with her ). In my mind, angels are more like that - a mostly unseen but friendly presence ..... someone to watch over us, to listen to our unspoken hopes and fears ... our moments of doubt and inspiration ... thinking along those lines is a comfort to me when I am down. For those who have a strong religious faith, I expect this sounds a lot like the role of God has in their life ( after all, when you are praying, that is exactly what you believe you are doing ... you are talking to God, and he is listening to you ) and that is OK ... but in my head, the angels are listening to anyone and everyone, they are there for them regardless of who they believe in .....


The picture I started the post with is something I have on my wall at home. It is just an oversized greetings card I found one day which I liked, and I framed it.. I like the image a lot .... there is something serene and peaceful about it .... the expression on the angel's face is thoughtful and just a little melancholic ... she is just sitting there in contemplation ... it is a beautiful image for me ... one that seems to sum up how I feel inside sometimes ... ( but that is another (long) story...:-) ). I hope you enjoy it too, for your own reasons.....

0 comments: